PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 100 mins
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 12 ounces sliced bacon (about 12 slices)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted, plus more for greasing
- 2 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sliced scallions (white & green parts), divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Prick each potato a few times w/a fork & wrap them in a large foil packet. Bake potatoes until they are fork tender, 40 to 60 minutes depending on the size. Once done, unwrap them & rest them until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, line a large, rimmed sheet pan w/foil & top w/a baking rack (if you have one). Arrange the bacon strips on the rack in a single layer, making sure not to overlap them.
- Bake the bacon until it shrivels slightly & darkens in color (remember it will crisp once it’s cooled), about 15 to 20 minutes depending on thickness.
- Once cooled, chop bacon into small bits & set aside.
- Once cooled, slice potatoes in half. Set them cut side down on cutting board &, using a soup spoon, peel the skin & discard. Cut the potato flesh into chunks & place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sour cream, cream cheese, milk, & melted butter to the bowl w/the potatoes. Using a potato masher, mix & mash the potatoes until well combined, but not completely smooth (you want a few potato lumps still).
- Add half of the chopped bacon, 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, 1 cup of scallions, plus garlic powder, salt, & pepper. Fold mixture w/a spatula. Taste & season w/more salt & pepper, if needed.
- Add the potato mixture into the prepared casserole dish & smooth into an even layer using a rubber spatula. Scatter the remaining cheddar cheese over the potatoes. Cover the dish w/foil, making sure not to press it tight against the cheese, & bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil & bake the casserole uncovered for another 20 minutes, until the cheese is browned & bubbling slightly at the sides.
- Top the casserole with the remaining bacon bits and scallions. Serve!