PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 40 mins
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (5oz) can mild green chiles
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Cooking spray
- 10 medium flour tortillas
- 16 ounces Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil & ground beef. Cook, breaking up the ground beef, until it’s browned, 4-5 minutes. Add onions, peppers, black beans, & green chiles. Continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes, until vegetables are softened, but not browned.
- Add taco seasoning, salt, pepper, & 1/4 cup of water. Continue to cook until water evaporates & seasonings are evenly distributed, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. Taste & adjust seasonings, if desired.
- Spray a quarter sheet pan (9 x 13-inch) with nonstick spray. Place 2 flour tortillas in the center so they slightly overlap, & then place 6 tortillas around the edge, all overlapping & hanging over the edge of the pan.
- Place 2 more tortillas in the middle & fold tortillas over the edges to cover the filling. It’s okay if there are some small holes in the top. If you want to perfectly cover them, you can cut apart a new tortilla & use it to patch the holes in the top of the quesadilla.
- Lightly spray the top of the quesadilla with cooking spray. Place a second, slightly smaller, sheet pan or baking dish on top of the quesadilla with foil in between the quesadilla & sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350˚ F. Then remove the top sheet pan & foil. Increase the temperature to 400˚F & bake for another 10-15 minutes, until the tortillas are very crispy.